Wednesday, May 10, 2017

Turkey stuffed peppers

I originally found this ground turkey mixture on whatiscookingnow.com. It was supposed to be a recipe for turkey zucchini boats, but after testing out the recipe the way it was originally intended I found that it turned out a lot better as a stuffed pepper recipe. I included the pictures of both versions for reference. If you still prefer to do stuffed zucchini boats all you have to do is reduce the cooking time by about ten minutes. These are also amazing with a single slice of Havarti cheese melted on top.
Being 15 weeks pregnant, I still get my cravings, and cheese is usually at the top of the list. It's not paleo, but I figure there could be a lot worse foods to crave, right? During my last pregnancy there were some days where it was literally the only thing I wanted to eat ALL DAY LONG. My cheese cravings aren't as strong this time around, but I still feel the need to add a slice here and there to some of the dishes I make. And I don't hear the rest of the family complaining, since these only lasted a day!
And just a little fun fact: any time you add dairy to a paleo recipe, it's considered "primal" rather than paleo.

Ingredients:
1½ lb lean ground turkey
1 large onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
¼ cup almond flour
¼ cup tomato paste
1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon pepper
4 bell peppers sliced lengthwise

Directions
  • Preheat oven to 350°F. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
  • Add ground turkey, onion and garlic to skillet; cook 7 minutes or until turkey is no longer pink, stirring to crumble.
  • Transfer turkey mixture to a bowl; mix in almond flour, tomato paste, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper.
  • Scoop seeds of the peppers, and discard.  Stuff turkey mixture evenly into bell pepper shells.
  • Place on a baking sheet or dish. Bake 35 minutes (25 min for stuffed zucchini) or until the peppers are tender.

No comments:

Post a Comment